Unlike other communities, early Fort Loramie had the down town store fronts facing the canal. The Miami and Erie Canal once paralleled S.R. 66 in downtown Fort Loramie; however, is now a city park. Many of these stores are from the canal era.
Originally named "New Berlin," Ft. Loramie started as a trading post in 1769. In 1841 the Miami and Erie Canal was complete within this community. Canal boats hauled the lower limestone for the foundation stone of St. Michael's Church, built by German Catholic settlers.53
The current sanctuary was built in 1881. The north eastsection of the building was the original sanctuary, built in 1840.
The magnificent architecture of Saint Michael's Church stands out among other buildings in the community, reflecting where member's hearts, minds, talents, and treasures were directed.